Garbage and Recycling
Briarmeadow's Trash and Recycling provider is VF Waste Services, a division of WCA Waste Corporation.
Pickup days: Monday (regular trash only), Wednesday (recycling), Thursday (regular and heavy trash)
We take great pride in our neat, uncluttered community appearance. For many years the 684 homes in the Briarmeadow subdivision have elected to utilize private, backdoor garbage collection. Backdoor collection is provided two times per week on Monday and Thursday and does not require or limit the homeowner to a specific garbage container type or size. Each homeowner must supply their garbage containers and recycling containers. Recycling pickup is Wednesday. Holidays are New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. If a holiday falls on a collection date, there will be no pickup until the next regularly scheduled day.
Garbage cans are emptied at the back door for normal household trash. You must put grass clippings in plastic bags and place them at the curb no sooner than 24 hours before pickup is scheduled. Tree limbs and shrubbery should be cut and tied in 4-ft. bundles, and may be placed curbside for Thursday pickups only, along with any other heavy materials or items.
VF Waste (713-787-9790) provides our garbage collection service. They provide backdoor collection for garbage and curbside collection for other items as described below. Their website is www.vfwasteservices.com.
If a resident fails to place garbage out in time for pickup, garbage will be picked up on the next scheduled service day. For missed pickups due to a VF Waste crew mistake, pickup will be made the same day if VF Waste is notified during normal office hours (713-787-9790) or within twenty-four hours if notification is made outside of normal office hours.
If you need assistance, please email email@example.com with a description of the problem. Alternatively, you may also call VF Waste at 713-787-9790 weekdays 9 AM to 6 PM. For further information consult their website at www.vfwasteservices.com. Tell them you are in the Briarmeadow subdivision.
- Paper: newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, envelopes, office paper, construction paper, colored paper, folders, paper bags, phone books, holiday cards, and greeting cards
- Cardboard: corrugated cardboard boxes and paperboard boxes (i. e. cereal, soda, beer, egg, and shoe boxes)
- Metal: aluminum cans, tin cans, steel cans, empty aerosol cans, aluminum foil, metal pots and pans, copper and scrap metal
- Plastic: plastic jugs and containers marked with recycling numbers #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, and #7 (most milk, soda, water, juice, shampoo, detergent, and household cleaner bottles)
- Plastic bags, Styrofoam, wrapping paper, used pizza boxes, coat hangers, paint and solvent containers, light bulbs, mirrors, windows, dishes and cups, Pyrex pans, wet or soiled paper, paper towels, facial and toilet tissue, disposable plates and cups, paper milk and juice containers (waxed paperboard containers)
HEAVY TRASH WASTE COLLECTION - Bulk Waste Items – Once weekly on Thursday
Curbside collection of furniture and appliances (stoves, refrigerators, washer and dryers) and other bulky items will be on Thursday. Placement at the curb should be no sooner than 24 hours before pickup is scheduled.
By Federal Law, refrigerators and freezers or any other items containing Freon must be drained of Freon and have an accompanying bill to validate that such service was performed.
Heavy trash pickup excludes hazardous waste or construction debris such as carpet, drywall, and etc. resulting from remodeling or demolition operations. Such items will not be picked up.
YARD AND TREE WASTE
Curbside collection of grass clippings and tree, shrub or brush trimmings is provided.
You must put grass clippings in plastic bags and place them at the curb no sooner than 24 hours before pickup is scheduled. Special “compostable” lawn clipping and leaf bags are not required at this time (although they are recommended).
All tree and shrub limb waste must be bundled in lengths no greater than four (4) feet with no branch diameter exceeding three (3) inches. The bundling is required to allow quick pickup and size limitations are required to avoid damaging the equipment in the crushing process.
Due to government restrictions, personnel and community safety, and the protection of equipment, the following items cannot be collected:
- Gasoline, motor oil and used oil filters
- Paint and other similar liquids
- Vehicle tires and batteries
- Large pieces of metal such as car fenders or engines
- Debris from construction and remodeling such as carpet
- Rocks, bricks, concrete, dirt, sand, gravel
- Roofing materials, lumber, fence boards and large pieces of glass
Hazardous item disposal:
Please see the City of Houston Westpark Consumer Recycling Center website: http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/westpark.html
Potentially dangerous materials such as sharp objects, glass, metal and the like should be properly identified and separated from other trash and/or double wrapped to avoid potential injury to the loader.
When a resident needs collection in excess of the normal amount of residential refuse, yard trimmings or bulk items, VF Waste will, if notified in advance, meet with the resident prior to collection day to determine a price for pickup. If a resident does not notify VF Waste of such a special pickup before its scheduled day, then VF Waste will leave a notice for the resident to contact the Contractor during normal office hours before the next scheduled pickup day.